Each new year brings the "New Year, New Me" mentality, but what if we changed our perspective to be a "New Year, New WORD" mentality? We take the great qualities of resolutions and create longevity in accomplishing all of our goals with intention. We've created a step by step guide on how to create an intention from your resolution.
These are the top 5 resolutions made every year:
I want to be fit.
I want to practice more self-care.
I want to travel more.
I want to read 1 new book a month.
I want to budget better.
RESOLUTION 1: "I WANT TO BE FIT"
Whether it’s losing weight or getting fit, one of the most difficult parts to this goal is having the discipline to keep going. Maybe choosing to be healthier is also choosing to make the difficult choices that will benefit you in the long run. Before getting caught up in "how" to do it, first ask yourself "why" you want to be fit? What is stopping you from being healthier?
- Is Your WORD: ENERGY? Do you wish to have ENERGY to spend with your loved ones? Is it important for you to feel energized at the end of each day?
- Is Your WORD: DISCIPLINE? Is the hardest part is just getting out the door? How will you feel after you go for the run or say yes to the healthier option, knowing you exercised DISCIPLINE for a greater purpose?
Resolution 2: "I WANT TO PRACTICE MORE SELF-CARE"
In our world today, we are constantly “plugged in.” We are bombarded with images of other people’s lives, perfect vacations, and who we “should be.” Sometimes the best medicine is to slow down, reflect, and do you. Why do you want to cultivate your own self care habits? What obstacle will you overcome to create your own self care habits?
- Is Your WORD: ENOUGH? Is practicing self-care a good reminder that YOU ARE ENOUGH?
- Is Your WORD: BALANCE? Is it about finding time to unplug and finding a little bit of BALANCE?
Resolution 3: "I WANT TO TRAVEL MORE"
After a year without travel, it's no wonder the wanderlust is at an all time high. Exploring new places and creating new memories is so fun and exciting to plan. What is your favorite part of travel? What feeling do you want to carry throughout the year?
- Is Your WORD: ADVENTURE? Can you find the ADVENTURE in everyday?
- Is Your WORD: INSPIRATION? Do you want to travel to experience inspiration and new ideas from your travel?
RESOLUTION 4: "I WANT TO READ 1 NEW BOOK A MONTH"
One of the best ways to travel through time or space, to get a glimpse into the lives of our idols, or to learn about ourselves: books. Why do you want to read more books? What is keeping you from reading more?
- Is Your WORD: CALM? Are you looking for CALM and quiet with your book after a long day?
- Is Your WORD: CREATIVITY? Is creativity the source of why you want to read more? How can you connect with your creativity in and outside the pages of a book?
RESOLUTION 5: "I WANT TO BUDGET BETTER"
Finances are a tricky topic, especially when it comes to saving up for a big reward. Spending money gives us that temporary thrill of getting a treat, but it can ultimately leave us wanting more. What is preventing you from saving up?
-Is Your WORD: BOUNDARIES? Is the most difficult part of saving money saying no when people ask you to go out for dinner or coffee? Is there a creative way to spend time together without spending money?
-Is Your WORD: FREEDOM? Perhaps budgeting is just one step to a larger goal, and ultimately your goal is to be debt-free or save up for a house. Why is budgeting important to you? What will you gain from budgeting this year?
Studies show that understanding your ‘why’ and creating a reminder can increase the success rate of achieving your goals. So, what doors of possibility will you open with your intention this year? To help you find your WORD, we invite you to take our WORD Finder quiz!